Topic: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Replies: 67   Last Post: Nov 25, 2013 12:57 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
att1.html (3.4 K)

When I say "Singapore Math", I mean the math they do in Singapore, which, I hate to break your heart, isn't what you are currently looking at. I did order those books a couple years ago if you recall (you even said, get the textbooks, not the workbooks). They didn't add up. It turns out that most of the (good) math done in Singapore isn't in those books but is in supplemental problem solving books. Pretty decent ones in fact.

Picture every math bound kid clutching "The Art of Problem Solving". Why? Picture failing your whole academic career at age 12.

They aren't screwing around. You want to try something interesting. Join the blogs and watch snot nosed kids posting "Test too easy!".:) Reminds me of the good old days.

Does it amaze me that the vast educational scholastic political industry in this country missed all that? No.

Bob Hansen

On Nov 16, 2013, at 7:04 PM, Wayne Bishop <wbishop@exchange.calstatela.edu> wrote:

> At 10:41 AM 11/15/2013, Robert Hansen wrote:
>

>> What bothers me more is how screwed up the translation of Singapore math gets when it comes to the U.S., which is bizarre given that English is one of its official and most used languages. The textbooks, the tests, even the publishers websites are all in English!
>
> Are you looking at the US version of the Primary Series? They're almost exactly the same! Down to page number and problem number. Here and there names change from Asian to English, some of the metric measures become English, etc., but completely trivially. Open them anywhere, side-by-side, and you have to hunt to find any difference at all. In fact, when I wanted an answer sheet for all the problems using the US version and none was available, I checked the one that I had directly from Singapore [the entire K-A-Level Singapore/Cambridge exams curriculum and teacher support materials after the first TIMSS success in 1995] and everything worked! The answer sheet was as compact as possible - just numbers with no descriptors - so it worked fine.
>
> The reason I needed that was that I teaching our math for teacher ed class using Parker and Baldrige with the supporting US version of the Singapore Primary Series student books.
>
> Wayne
>

>> In any event, here are the types of questions Singapore students face at the end of 6th grade. It certainly explains their results on the TIMSS...
>>
>> http://prischoolmaths.blogspot.com/search/label/_PSLE09%20Questions
>> http://prischoolmaths.blogspot.com/2009/08/maths-psle-2008-questions.html
>>
>> Break out that box of crayons and good luck!
>>
>> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
11/11/13
Read Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/11/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/12/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
MVTutor
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Jonathan Crabtree
11/13/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/16/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/14/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Pam
11/15/13
[...]
11/17/13
[...]
11/18/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Louis Talman
11/21/13
[...]
GS Chandy
11/17/13
[...]
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Robert Hansen
11/22/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
Joe Niederberger
11/25/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted
Expressions
Bishop, Wayne
11/23/13
Read Re: Simplifying Algebraic Expressions with Subtracted Expressions
GS Chandy
11/24/13