Topic: Help with creating a function
Replies: 12   Last Post: Nov 19, 2013 3:48 AM

David Hartley

Re: Help with creating a function

In message <ugnj89poilcj8f2uot0qjhqnk8um0dhmjp@4ax.com>, quasi
<quasi@null.set> writes
>Robert Crandal wrote:
>>
>>Suppose I have the following X-Y data set:
>>
>>X Y
>>-- --
>>0 1
>>1 1
>>2 2
>>3 3
>>. .
>>. .
>>N N
>>
>>Can this be represented with a math function?
>>
>>(Only consider positive integers >= 0)

>It's already a function since for each x in the domain, there
>is a unique y.
>
>Presumably you want a "formula".
>
>The function f defined on the set of nonnegative integers
>by the formula
>
> f(x) = ((x-1)*(((2*x-1)/abs(2*x-1))+1)/2)+1
>
>is not pretty but it works.

Given the storm in a teacup going on in another thread at the moment,
this springs to mind.

f(x) = x + 0^x

Using of course the convention that 0^0 = 1 but 0^n = 0 for positive
integers n.
--
David Hartley