Topic: Kids understand multi-digit numbers as early as age 3 ??? Researchers' blunder.
Replies: 2   Last Post: Dec 24, 2013 5:02 PM

Clyde Greeno @ MALEI

Re: Kids understand multi-digit numbers as early as age 3 ??? Researchers' blunder.

GS:

I have no reservations about early childhood development including the
learning of geometric shapes that adults know as "alphabet letters" or as
"Arabic digits" ... if only by exploring keyboards of computers and
calculators and cellphones.

As the child evolves, there comes a time when it is easy and "natural" (in
today's world) for children to learn that such geometric shapes are commonly
used to represent things ... "A is for apples." Not far behind is beginning
to learn how such characters are (can be) strung together by using
successive *places * ... with the strings having meanings of their own.
Down the line comes learning how to *pronounce* some such strings [scrabble
& digit-tiles] ... and learning how such strings are alphabetically ordered.
Although all of such learning can be nurtured at pre-school levels, it does
not become imperative until children formally encounter "spelling" and
multi-place Arabic numerals.

However, it is not until children reach a "conservation" level ... roughly,
grade 3 ... when they can internalize the notions that the *places* can be
assigned numeric values ... as "place values." That is why Grade-2 teachers
always have had trouble teaching "place values." It is beyond the
comprehension of children who have not yet reached the "conservation" stage.

It is bad enough that the Achieve Corporation's mathematics "standards" for
American schools start the teaching of "place values" at primary-school
levels ... so prompting under-informed schools to inundate the very young
with mathematical meanderings that are beyond their abilities to comprehend.

But now, some mathematically confused researchers are thinking that age-3
children perceive "place values", merely because some children know how to
alphabetically order some multi-place numerals. The danger from researchers'
mistakes of that kind is that ill-informed teacher educators, curriculum
designers, authors, education officers, and researchers might use such
mistakes as grounds for trying to press the teaching of place values even
into pre-school levels.

Nationwide under-education and mis-education of mathematics-educators, in
the mathematics of "place values", has always hurt most children, and "CCSS"
threatens to worsen that plight. So, what we don't need is for
mathematically under-educated researchers to lead us deeper into that swamp.

Cordially,
Clyde