Topic: ONE proof of God. Which One?
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jan 11, 2014 7:10 PM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: ONE proof of God. Which One?

fom <fomJUNK@nyms.net> writes:

> On 1/11/2014 2:05 PM, fom wrote:
>
> The following paragraphs had ben stated
> awkwardly.
>
> I had no intention of associating
> Ben with "marker beliefs" in any
> strong sense of the preceding
> paragraph. I had meant the
> association to be made with the
> requirement that an interlocutor
> be open to the philosophical
> discussion to begin with.

Fear not, your characterisation was generally sound.

>> And, if you visit SEP to look up "knowledge",
>> then you discover that it is defined as
>> "justified true belief". Both terms -- "faith"
>> and "belief" -- probably play a role in what
>> Jim Burns (mostly on sci.logic) has referred
>> to as "marker-beliefs". If that is the case,
>> then it is difficult to use those terms, albeit
>> philosophical, when an interlocutor is using
>> them to identify possible allegiances.
>>
>> Ben, for example, has a wonderful sense of
>> matters generally but does not have the
>> philosophically-minded temperament for which
>> you would hope. I say this by his own
>> admission to the best that I understood his
>> response to you.

I look to my right at the shelf... Plato, Carritt, Wittgenstein,
Chomsky, Penrose, G E Moore, A J Ayre... There are some others in boxes
somewhere. Not much philosophy (that bookcase is mostly crime fiction),
but I have more of a philosophically-minded temperament than I think I
suggested. What I don't like is high-school-canteen philosophy: you
used Occam's razor so you've weighted the dice against God, nah, nah,
na, nah.

--
Ben.