Topic: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
Replies: 8   Last Post: Feb 10, 2014 11:45 AM

Greg Goodknight

Re: AP Calculus AB & AP Statistics & Math 2 Honors & Math 2 Standard?
att1.html (6.3 K)

On 02/09/2014 08:19 AM, kirby urner wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 7:51 AM, Todd Fuller <tfuller52@aol.com
> <mailto:tfuller52@aol.com>> wrote:
>
> Fellow high school math and/or AP Calculus and AP Stats teachers:
>
> What is you first reaction to:
> possibly being asked to teach AP Calculus AB, AP Statistics, Math
> 2 Honors, and Math 2 Standard next year?
>
> Is that too much?
>
> << snip >>
>
> I likely can't expect even a median level of salary. But I am
> interested in thoughts about overall course load from others.
>
> Thank you.
>

> Hi Todd --
>
> I hesitated in posting a reply as I'm not currently carrying such a
> load, but in the past did carry Geometry through Calculus (high
> school) with World History on the side, and an honors team taught
> course, experimental, in the humanities. That sounds like a lot, but
> then what were the class sizes and so on.

That would be a very, very long time ago, Kirby... from your online resume:
*"1981 to 1983* _St. Dominic Academy_, Jersey City, NJ: Served as full
time faculty member, teaching high school mathematics, geometry through
calculus, in an ethnically diverse private Catholic academy for young
women."

That started a year after you graducated with a degree in Philosophy
and apparently not even a minor (or the Princeton equivalent, a
"certificate") in math or computer science. I'm not too sure one or
possibly two years at a Catholic girls high school, without the minimum
requirements for a secondary math teaching credential in most states
allows you to shed much light on the subject for Todd, or anyone else.

Todd, I only come to this topic as a dad (with BS Physics, MS Electrical
Engineering [in current parlance, computer engineering]) whose son was
counseled in his freshman year to plan to take Calc AB as a junior and
Stats as a senior because stats was the crowning glory of the school's
math program. He chose to agree with me, get Stats out of the way in his
Sophomore year (he had the prerequisites already) and take Calc AB as a
senior, as *if* he chose to major in a math based discipline, he'd be
much better off with Calc AB as a senior and hit his freshman year
running. That turned out to be excellent advice.

He did well in all his AP classes and did hit the ground running at Cal.
His stats class was excellent, with the teacher actually having a
Masters in Statistics, but it was a dead end; I've come to the
conclusion it mostly exists to have a class other than Calculus AB so
students with only a bare minimum of Algebra II can earn AP math credit.

My reaction is they're asking for quite a lot of you that they aren't
paying you very well at all for, but if you don't teach it it's likely
someone who *didn't* at least minor in Stats will be teaching it.

-Greg

PS I did take a solid two course graduate level sequence of probability
and (calculus based) statistics myself, and liked both.