The Math Forum

Topic: trapezoid clarification
Replies: 55   Last Post: Apr 24, 2017 2:30 PM

Jonathan Halabi

Re: trapezoid clarification
att1.html (9.8 K)

A parallelogram is a quadrilateral with both pairs of opposite sides
parallel. It has additional properties, but they flow from that definition.

How do we want to define an isosceles trapezoid? (I don't know, and it
won't be our choice anyhow)
If we say "a quadrilateral with exactly one pair of opposite sides
parallel... we are doing something strange, given the inclusive definition
of trapezoid that NYS is adopting without discussion.
If we say "a quadrilateral with at least one pair of opposite sides
parallel, and exactly one pair of opposite sides congruent" we are
reintroducing an exclusive definition (but of something else)
If we say "a trapezoid with one pair of opposite sides congruent" we are
recognizing what "isosceles" means, but leaving the one pair/at least one
pair question. This might be in the spirit of what NYS has just done, but
it includes all parallelograms, and what we used to call isosceles
trapezoids. This would dramatically change the list of properties. It is
important to recognize that the properties will flow from the definition

Another option is to say "the word 'isosceles' does not apply cleanly to
the trapezoid, as recently redefined. Let's stop talking about 'isosceles
trapezoid'"

And then we could spend more time on kites, undisturbed by any arbitrary
common core redefinition.

Jonathan Halabi
the Bronx

On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 1:13 PM, Lisa Clark <barnsky@optonline.net> wrote:

> How is a rhombus an isosceles trapezoid? It doesn't have all the
> properties of an isosceles trap. Such as diagonals congruent, base angles
> congruent and Opposite angles supplementary.
>
> A rhombus is a parallelogram because it has ALL the properties of a
> parallelogram and then has some of its own "special" properties.
> Somebody pease explain this.
>
> :(
>

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> On May 28, 2014, at 5:52 AM, bcwaldner@aol.com wrote:
>
> Grace
> Of course you are right and your summary of trapezoid clarifications are
> going to be helpful to anyone who was not sure about the implications of
> this revised definition. Good point of how it can be used in a proof.
> Bruce
>
> Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Date Subject Author
5/17/14