Topic: PCT output data transfer
Replies: 2   Last Post: Jul 8, 2014 4:45 PM

Edric Ellis

Re: PCT output data transfer

"Sujit Das" <SujitRDas@gmail.com> writes:

> Edric M Ellis <eellis@mathworks.com> wrote in message <ytwmwd0dt7y.fsf@uk-eellis-deb7-64.dhcp.mathworks.com>...
>> "Sujit Das" <SujitRDas@gmail.com> writes:
>> > Thanks Edric. That is very insightful. Yes, we realize that data
>> > serialization does happen during transfer. We have also encountered
>> > the limit of 2 GB ( I believe) in 64-bit workers during serialization.

>> If you have 64-bit workers and a 64-bit client, the limit no longer
>> applies (it was removed in R2013a).

> That is great news. Does the overall performance of worker-to-client
> data transfer improve with this new version? I would read up the
> release notes for R2013a.

The performance didn't change when the restriction was removed. Do you
have a simple example of what you're trying to do where you think the
performance needs to be improved?

> On a different note, we also experience slowness in closing matlabpool
> especially when we run 100s of workers. What exactly matlabpool does
> other than destroying temp files/dirs and closing connections to
> workers after the workers are completed?

That's basically it. Do you have some figures for how long it takes
against number of workers? What cluster type are you using?

Cheers,

Edric.