The Math Forum

Topic: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Replies: 43   Last Post: Aug 5, 2014 9:35 AM

kirby urner

Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
att1.html (5.4 K)

On Fri, Jul 18, 2014 at 7:56 AM, israeliteknight <j@eaja.net> wrote:

> RH> I even suggest that at
> > young ages they are too convenient and rob children
> > of very important analog, physical and tactile
> > experiences that we took for granted.
> >

> GS bs "Yes, agreed here as well. With the observation that primarily we
> (humans) never ever sought to understand precisely what our place in this
> universe was. We took it for granted that we humans are the "MASTERS OF
> THIS UNIVERSE!", which is the 'ruling philosophy' (if I may describe
> something so very crass as a 'philosophy')"
>
> It's not a philosophy. It's a religion. In THIS country that religion is
> Christianity, and it has served us well. It has also served the other TWO
> BILLION christians around the world very well.

Of course I disagree with this characterization. George Washington as more
a Mason than a Christian and the Founding Fathers, though many were Diest
in orientation, were not Christians in the sense of members of a recognized
congregation / denomination.

http://gwmemorial.org/washingtonTheMason.php

Ben Franklin came close to calling himself a Quaker but is what we Quakers
call a Walt Whitman Friend, meaning Quakers would like to claim a "target /
victim" to advance their own prestige.

http://www.adherents.com/people/pw/Walt_Whitman.html

But then are Quakers even Christian? Yes by conventional taxonomies, but
those tend to be out of date in my book. If one categorizes by social
structure, then our not having pastors or hierarchy (in our branch, run by
committees and clerks) then we're outside the mold of most Catholic and/or
Protestant lineages. I mention Quakers in this connection because of their
importance in early US history.

In any case, I would not give Christianity over-arching credit for
"America's greatness" or anything so crass. I realize religiosity and
nationalism are oft-wedded sentiments, but the progeny of such parenthood
tend to be freakishly ugly and have only a short half life in history. The
Nazis are a good example of church meets state, their religiosity stemming
from some vague Wagnerian romanticization of their Teutonic heritage, ala
Disneyland, coupled with the usual shallow-stupid bigotries, briefly shared
by Henry Ford Sr., but he finally saw the light and recanted).

http://www.waragainsttheweak.com/

> And we have NO reason to give it up.

There's that slippery "we" again.

A lot of the best North American thinkers were never infected by the
meme-virus you call Christianity. Mark Twain comes to mind: too broad
minded to be trapped in a mind-coffin of such narrow dimensions. Of course
Jesus himself was never a Christian.

> While I love computers, and while I'm a parent who would love to have seen
> computers help in education, every attempt to make that happen backfired.
> If I were to do it over again, computers, cell phones, and all other
> devices like that, would be banned.

Hah hah.

By the way, I haven't stipulated anywhere in this thread so far that the
brand of Al Jabr I'm spinning here as to be only for, or even primarily
for, teenagers and tweens.

On the contrary, I'm in the adult ed biz these days and although
finger-printed and background-checked enough to work directly with minors,
I tend not to have those kinds of responsibilities these days.

My outline above might serve an on-line community of world-around adults.

Lets see what Youtubes I might dig up on the Platonics and their
mind-melding (per elsewhere in this thread)....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipCUdBU1wzo
(shows how the relative sizes of the duals is not fixed)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXioq_Ipvv0
(useful for other reasons too, nice Beethoven, a bit fuzzy though)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voUVDAgFtho
(a bit plodding but slow paced is an advantage sometimes -- the
Visual Geometry Project has a history that intertwines with that of
the Math Forum and by extension this very list:
http://mathforum.org/blogs/annie/ )

Kirby

Date Subject Author
7/16/14
Read More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/17/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/17/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/17/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/19/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/19/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/19/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/23/14
[...]
7/21/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/21/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
israeliteknight
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/18/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
meetlesli
7/19/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
Robert Hansen
7/20/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/23/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
israeliteknight
7/23/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/24/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
7/24/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
israeliteknight
7/24/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
kirby urner
7/24/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
israeliteknight
7/24/14
Read Re: More Thoughts about Algebra in 2014
GS Chandy
8/5/14