Date: Nov 28, 1997 6:35 AM
Author: Robert Hill
Subject: Re: most famous codiscoverer gets credit (Matthew Effect) [was: This Week's Finds in Mathematical Physics (Week 112)]

Are In article <>, (Quentin Grady) writes:
> This response CC'd by email
> G'day G'day Bill et al,
> Ha Ha Ha. Already the rest of you aren't at famous a Bill. <grin>
> There are occasions when the anti-Matthews effect occurs.
> Venn was immortalised in Venn diagrams yet wasn't Euler using them in
> his writings way way before. One more attribution to Euler wouldn't
> have made much difference. To Venn it made all the difference.
> So here is the Quentin conjecture.
> "Attribution favours the famous till the famous becomes ubiquitous."

Are people still brought up to call the complex plane the "Argand diagram"?
I was, despite the fact that Gauss was one of the discoverers.
This seems to support Quentin's conjecture.

Robert Hill

University Computing Service, Leeds University, England

"Though all my wares be trash, the heart is true."
- John Dowland, Fine Knacks for Ladies (1600)