Date: Feb 22, 1995 2:35 PM
Author: Annie Fetter
Subject: Re:Easter

Okay, time for me to jump in.  First, as I mentioned to Stan privately,
this is _not_ a topic that is in the least bit relevant to the Standards
(correct me if I'm wrong). As such, it doesn't really belong on this group
(also, the response certainly could be mailed privately). There are a lot
of other convenient places to ask such questions (drop me a line, I'll tell
you about some of them). I have sent private notes to several other people
who have posted "off-topic" questions. Please think about the purpose of
this list. There are hundreds of mailing lists and newsgroups of interest
to educators (you can get copies of these lists via ftp from
ftp://nic.umass.edu/pub/ednet). As someone who is interested in math
education, I read about 20 newsgroups and mailing lists regularly - I
_must_ drop a list if it does not remain at least close to its proposed
topic. I don't have time to read the same stuff everywhere.

Now, it may be that it seems I'm going to ruin the character of this list.
I realize that it was a more of a general math discussion list before (I
can't say for sure what its character was, because I had to unsubscribe a
week after subscribing because the traffic was too high and too varied),
but I think there can be enough discussion generated by the topic of the
Standards to sustain a list, and a list that is a rich and valuable
resource for math educators.

I would be happy to discuss this matter with people privately. I would
rather not discuss it on the list itself unless there is a great demand.

-Annie

Annie Fetter | The Geometry Forum | Voice: 610 328-8225
Project Coordinator | Swarthmore College | 800 756-7823
annie@forum.swarthmore.edu | Swarthmore PA 19081 | Fax: 610 328-7824
http://forum.swarthmore.edu/