Date: Jun 30, 1995 12:26 PM
Author: David Scott Powell
Subject: re: effectiveness of lectures

>I'm not certain what all this "only remebering 10% of lecture" is all about.
> If I listen to a lecture and take notes, I retain everything that is
>important and so do most of my students.

How long can you retain what was said? Can you put meaning into the notes?
What was the lecturer thinking? Can you look at the notes a year later
and know what is going on?

>Maybe teachers need to spend more time teaching students how to get the most
>out of lectures. Or maybe teachers need to be trained to lecture more
>effectively!

Ouch Kent. Haven't we been try this for the past 50 years or so? Has it
worked? You be the judge on that one. I for one would like to learn more
important and relevant things.

>The lecture is still the most effecient way to impart "certain kinds" of
>knowlege to a large group of students.
>
>Kent

No arguments here Kent. It is the most *effecient* way to impart facts.
It is quick and easy(for the teacher and the student). But it is very
limited in what can be learned(in the high school setting). So next time a
student yawns during your lecture ask yourself again, is this working for
the students.(o.k. students yawn in every environment, just trying to make
a point)

Scott Powell
University of Hawaii
Lab school