Date: May 1, 2004 6:15 AM
Author: Toni Lassila
Subject: Re: Failing Linear Algebra:

On 01 May 2004 00:28:02 GMT, Anonymous wrote:

>Right. But I still think it's possible to know the definition of something
>*without* being able to state or explain the definition clearly.

Clearness is in the mind of the reader, but accuracy should not be
lacking. My measure theory prof complained how he was exasperated at
students who studied the three basic theorems of integral convergence
theory, but when prompted to define them in the test, gave garbled up
versions that were close but not even close. Why bother studying
something and learning definitions and theorems if you don't learn
them *correctly*?

--
"I'm not interested in mathematics that might have anything
to do with reality." -- Russell Easterly, in sci.math