Date: Dec 22, 2009 9:17 AM
Author: Dik T. Winter
Subject: Re: Another AC anomaly?

In article <8baa45a8-2ba4-464b-9598-5656c43a7456@j19g2000yqk.googlegroups.com> WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:
> On 18 Dez., 15:22, "Dik T. Winter" <Dik.Win...@cwi.nl> wrote:
> > In article <dd852490-e622-4bc4-b858-dfcc3b142...@l13g2000yqb.googlegroups=
> .com> WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> > > For paths and initial segments to contain and to be is the same.

> > Eh? paths contain nodes and initial segments contain numbers.
> > But be aware that you use the word 'contains' with two different meanings
> > at different times.

> For paths we have: Paths contain initial segments and paths are
> initial segments.

Yes, you are using "contains" with two different meanings: "be an element
of" and "be a subset of". In many cases you do not distinguish them and
that leads to misunderstandings.

> > > For paths and initial segments to contain and to be is the same. In
> > > fact:
> > > {1} U {1, 2} U {1, 2, 3} U ... = {1, 2, 3, ...}
> > > and also

> > In the mathematical sense the union contains numbers, not sets.

> The union contains subsets.

> > > This is so according to set theory. Of course it is rubbish.
> >
> > Well, if you want to use terminology in a different meaning than
> > standard, of course.

> To contain as a subset is not correct in English?

It is correct English but misleading in a set theoretic context.
--
dik t. winter, cwi, science park 123, 1098 xg amsterdam, nederland, +31205924131