Date: Jan 22, 2012 12:56 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: "Towards an effective public school system for US" Was:  "Live Demo..."

Richard Strausz Posted: Jan 21, 2012 12:15 PM

>I lack the time that Haim obviously has to develop an
>effective action plan. I do look forward to reading and
>commenting on what he and others are able to construct.

Richard,

Yours may be the single most fascinating and revealing statement ever delivered to Math-Teach.

On the one hand, you just likened GS's OPMS system of analysis to Excel,

- ---------------------
http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2334895&tstart=0
Concerning your PS: think of what GS has done is creating a tool like Excel or a database.

You may know that the electronic spreadsheet is one of the two "killer apps" (the other being the word processing app) that transformed the digital landscape. Through the 1970's, the microcomputer was little more than a hobbyist's pastime. It was Visicalc and Wordstar that turned the microcomputer into the personal computer, broke down barriers of scale, and changed everything. To liken OPMS to Visicalc is high praise indeed, for OPMS, and a testament to its analytical powers.

On the other hand, you are an educator with a keen interest in improving, if not transforming, education. Never mind your words, your very presence in Math-Teach attests to that.

Given your keen interest, and given a powerful tool at your disposal, how can you resist throwing yourself into OPMS and constructing Action Plans? Frankly, I would think you should want to conduct OPMS sessions with your colleagues, immediately if not sooner.

Your nonchalant dismissal of OPMS, "I lack the time..." is incomprehensible to me. Is your interest in improving education really not that keen, or is your confidence in OPMS really not that deep?

Haim
Shovel ready? What shovel ready?

Message was edited by: Haim