Date: May 24, 2012 10:51 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: Re: Growing Inequalities - Response To "Haim"

Some subscribers to MathEdCC might be interested in a recent
discussion-list post "Re: Growing Inequalities - Response To 'Haim'.
" The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: In response to my post "Re: Growing Inequalities" at
<http://bit.ly/JVmTOi>, Math-Teach's Haim responded at
<http://bit.ly/KSpXrz> and seemed to suggest that: (1) immigrants
from Latin America are responsible for a significant fraction of
poverty in the United States, and (2) income inequality can be
reduced by restricting Latino immigration.

I quote excerpts regarding poverty among: (a) foreign-born Latino
families, from Timothy Noah's book "The Great Divergence"
<http://amzn.to/KLw98C>; and (b) Hispanic children, from the U.S.
Census Bureau <http://1.usa.gov/KGCpet>, that, I think, cast doubt on
"Haim's" suggestions.

To access the complete 12 kB post please click on <http://bit.ly/JHkbY9>.

<rrhake@earthlink.net>
Links to Articles: <http://bit.ly/a6M5y0>
Links to SDI Labs: <http://bit.ly/9nGd3M>
Blog: <http://bit.ly/9yGsXh>
Academia: <http://iub.academia.edu/RichardHake>
Twitter <https://twitter.com/#!/rrhake>

"For the short term, preparing teachers in mathematics and science is
a wise and useful step toward improving schools. . . . . .[But]. . .
As quickly as possible, we must understand the link between poverty
and educational outcomes in the US, devise solutions, and test and
implement them. Britain briefly tried to substitute public relations
for aircraft safety and paid with the loss of its commercial aviation
sector. I hope the United States can avoid a similar error, that
proponents of teacher quality and charter schools will recognize the
weakness of the evidence before it is too late, that we will not
damage public education, let down our most vulnerable students, and
lose technical leadership we take for granted."
- Michael Marder (2011)

REFERENCES [All URL's shortened by <http://bit.ly/> and accessed on
24 May 2012.]
Hake, R.R. 2012. Re: Growing Inequalities - Response To 'Haim', "
online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <http://bit.ly/JHkbY9>. Post
of 24 May 2012 15:26:28-0700 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract and
link to the complete post are also being transmitted to several
discussion lists and are on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<http://bit.ly/LeGk4y> with a provision for comments.

Marder, M. 2011. "Failure of U.S. Public Secondary Schools in
Mathematics: Poverty is a More Important Cause than Teacher Quality,"
to be submitted, online as a 3.3 MB pdf at <http://bit.ly/fjUquC>.