Date: Aug 12, 2012 11:37 PM
Author: Glenn Ravich
Subject: Re: [ap-stat] Homework

NOTE:
This ap-stat EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Statistics Teacher
Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
Good observations...

I give 2 quizzes or more per week (they are very short). I have always thrown out the lowest to allow a small degree of accommodation for music lessons, field trips, and assemblies, which tend to negatively influence performance at least once per quarter. Alternatively, behaviors that result in positive outliers tend to either be things I want to reinforce (studying, attending extra help) or things that are not one time only events (cheating, etc.).

I have a good degree of confidence that the red highlighted policies have not been a reason for the decrease in failures because (1) I have always done this (2) homework and quizzes only make up 25% of the quarterly grade, and (3) the percentages quoted refer to performance on state assessments.

This policy, like any other, has its flaws but it has significantly reduced the amount of copying in my classroom.

Anthony Chase Mallia
Math/Special Education Teacher
Sag Harbor UFSD

On Aug 12, 2012, at 11:09 PM, Dennis Roberts <dmr@psu.edu> wrote:

> On 8/12/2012 10:31 PM, Chase wrote:
>>

>> (10) At the end of the quarter, I throw out the two lowest homework grades and the lowest quiz grade.
>>
>> Since implementing this strategy my percentage of failures has decreased each year from 24% in my first year to 5% last year.

> I wonder if there is any connection between what is RED above and the % of failures?
>
> I have always wondered why it's only the lowest that are tossed ... why not the highest?

Anthony Chase Mallia
Math/Special Education Teacher
Sag Harbor UFSD

On Aug 12, 2012, at 11:09 PM, Dennis Roberts <dmr@psu.edu> wrote:

> NOTE:
> This ap-stat EDG will be closing in the next few weeks. Please sign up for the new AP Statistics Teacher
> Community Forum at https://apcommunity.collegeboard.org/getting-started and post messages there.
> On 8/12/2012 10:31 PM, Chase wrote:

>> (10) At the end of the quarter, I throw out the two lowest homework grades and the lowest quiz grade.
>>
>> Since implementing this strategy my percentage of failures has decreased each year from 24% in my first year to 5% last year.

> I wonder if there is any connection between what is RED above and the % of failures?
>
> I have always wondered why it's only the lowest that are tossed ... why not the highest?
>
> To search the list archives for previous posts go to
> http://lyris.collegeboard.com/read/?forum=ap-stat

---
To unsubscribe click here: