Date: Sep 25, 2012 11:06 AM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: To meet a challenge

This forum has been challenged:

> In other words, I hypothesized that, in fact, we know everything there is to know about teaching mathematics, and that the real debate on education is about something else....
> I challenged this forum to prove me wrong by either
>
> (a) pointing to any ongoing discussion on interesting open questions of pedagogy, or
>
> (b) starting such a discussion, here.
>
> So far, not one person has risen to the challenge.

To meet this challenge:

How about this one, in the form of a question: Should we teach the adding or subtracting of fractions based on the least common denominator as an algorithm that can be stated as a single equation, as we already do with respect to the teaching of the multiplying or dividing of fractions?

------- End of Forwarded Message