Date: Oct 10, 2012 12:59 AM
Author: kirby urner
Subject: Re: Calculus Position Statement - NCTM & MAA

It'd make as much sense to term "half Chinese half Caucasian" a race
in itself, as to term it "a mix of two races".

Indeed, there are words along those lines, more to be coined, as the
pattern is on the rise (East still meeting West and vice versa).

The permutations are endless. But then in poker we have lots of names
for card patterns, so why not?

So many millions of races (each person more than one).

The "race" meme is persistent and malleable, I'll grant you that.

It tends to survive independently of new discoveries in genetics.

You don't need a lot of STEM savvy to be committed to "race" as core
to your world view.

I take a "can't beat 'em join 'em attitude" and keep using it loosely,
as in "the race of Yorkshiremen".

Even "geeks" might be a race, like "gypsies".

Kirby