Date: Oct 10, 2012 11:40 PM
Author: Haim
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Oct 10, 2012 11:49 AM

>"What Makes Finnish Kids So Smart?"
>http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120425355065601997.html
>
>Quote: "The school, which is a model campus, has no
>sports teams, marching bands or prom."

Quote: "Finland separates students for the last three years of high school based on grades; 53% go to high school and the rest enter vocational school."

In other words, for this and several other key reasons, comparing Finnish schools to Americans schools is like comparing Finnish football to American football. It is a stupid comparison since the Finns, whether at football or at schooling, play a very different game.

Now, if anyone wants to play the Finnish game of school, I am all for it. Let's start with real teachers.

Finally, I would take Finnish schools more seriously, as a model for us, if somebody would tell me what they do with a student who does not measure up or who is otherwise uncooperative or disruptive.

Haim
No representation without taxation.