Date: Oct 11, 2012 4:31 PM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

On Oct 11, 2012, at 4:10 PM, Paul Tanner <upprho@gmail.com> wrote:

> If I teach 6 hours per day and have 20 students in each one hour
> class, then I have 120 total students to deal with. If I teach 3 hours
> per day and have 20 students in each one hour class, then I have 60
> total students to deal with. The teacher-pupil ratio is the same, but
> one teacher has double the teaching load of the other.

So do the kids go to school only 3 hours a day? I guess we are not talking elementary school, we are talking high school? So in elementary school the teachers teach the same as us but in high school they only teach 3 hours? So do teachers share the classrooms? Or do half the classrooms sit empty half the day and the other half the other half of the day? Is this the vocational schools as well, or just the high schools? I guess it is possible since the high schools have screening in place. Once you remove the sports and the remedial classes, what's left? Do you have a link to some actual high school schedules that exhibit this? It seems like college hours.

Bob Hansen