Date: Oct 12, 2012 2:33 AM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: US teachers are overworked and underpaid

So? You still have no factual knowledge of what the actual contract
these teachers actually have actually says with respect to teaching
hours - and how those hours are counted.

With respect to how the hours are counted: When a college students
take a three hour course, that means that it is counted as three hours
per week in the classroom. But guess what? It's not physically three
hours, since the student is given 10 minutes to get to the next class
if he or she have a class the next hour. And physically it's just
three different 50 minute sessions, for a total of 2.5 hours per week.
So how come the colleges don't call it a 2.5 hour course?

Same for k12. I taught what I call 3 different 2 hour blocks even
though some small amount of in-between time was given to the students
to get to the next class.

Everything I said in the original post still stands - even if one were
to say that based on some technicality like the above where it's
"actually" only 2.5 hours per week instead of 3 for a 3-hour course,
US teachers teach only 5 hours per day on average when school is in
session, since we're still talking about only around 3 hours per day
on average when school is in session for those teachers of those
top-performing countries of Finland, Korea, and Japan. Still a very
massive difference.

But then again, if those charts are overstating teaching hours for US
teachers, they could overstating teaching hours for those countries'
teachers as well, in which case they teach even less than three hours
per day!