Date: Oct 17, 2012 10:51 AM
Author: Lauren Palma
Subject: Calculator Use

Hi all,
I know that scientific calculators with fractional capabilities are allowed to be used on the seventh grade assessment this year, both parts. However, for operations on rational numbers, I did not permit my students to use calculators as then the questions could simply be answered by pressing buttons. The results were not great. I am wondering how you all are approaching calculator use for regular ed students as well as IEP students for the number sense strand as well as for other standards. My students don't seem to be rising to the challenge of rational numbers as well as they did integers last year.
Any feedback would be appreciated!