Date: Oct 24, 2012 3:37 PM
Author: Bradley Stoll
Subject: Re: [ap-calculus] Double Derivatives

NOTE:
and post messages there.
What no one has mentioned yet (I don't believe) is that not only does f '' = 0 not guarantee an inflection point, it doesn't guarantee that it's one of those. In other words, one can't look at the graph of a function and conclude that the second derivatives is not zero. Often, students will look at a graph say, it's concave up there so
f ''>0. This isn't true. Consider the function f(x) = x^4 + 2x for x > 0 and x^5 + 2x for x <= 0. This function is twice differentiable at 0 and f ''(0) = 0. Yet, if you graph f(x) there is nothing special (at least by its looks) about f(x). That is, there is not an inflection point or a relative extrema there. I think there are some that believe if f '' = 0, then one of those must occur, but that's not true.

Bradley

From: Louis Talman <talmanl@gmail.com<mailto:talmanl@gmail.com>>
To: AP Calculus <ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com<mailto:ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com>>
Cc: AP Calculus <ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com<mailto:ap-calculus@lyris.collegeboard.com>>

NOTE:
and post messages there.
A number of people have replied to this question, correctly. But I wish they'd mentioned that their answers reflect an important fact: The meaning of the sentence, "The test fails," is precisely what they're illustrating.

When we say that a test fails, we mean exactly that the test doesn't give us *any* useful information about the phenomenon we used the test for.

On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 3:12 PM, Debbie Bricker <DBricker@cathedralcatholic.org<mailto:DBricker@cathedralcatholic.org>> wrote:

NOTE:
and post messages there.

--Louis A. Talman