Date: Oct 30, 2012 2:42 PM
Author: Dave L. Renfro
Subject: Harvey Mudd math professor teaches high school

I suspect many in this group will find the following article
very interesting.

Darryl Yong, "Adventures in Teaching: A Professor Goes to
High School to Learn about Teaching Math", Notices of the
American Mathematical Society 59 #10 (November 2012), 1408-1415.
http://www.ams.org/notices/201210/rtx121001408p.pdf

Darryl Yong is an Associate Professor of Mathematics at
Harvey Mudd College:
http://www.math.hmc.edu/~dyong/

>From p. 1408 (first sentence): "During the 2009?2010 academic
year I did something unusual for a university mathematician
on sabbatical: I taught high school mathematics in a large
urban school district."

>From p. 1408 (right column): "In 2009 only 3 percent of
students at this school were deemed proficient on the
Algebra 1 California Standards Test (CST). That year,
I taught Algebra 1, Algebra 2, Geometry, and a math
intervention class (an additional period of mathematics
for students who are struggling in mathematics)."

>From p. 1409 (left column): "In many respects I got
what I wanted that year: an authentic experience of
teaching in a highneed urban school. I didn't want
to teach calculus or teach only "gifted" students.
I didn't want to receive any concessions because
of my qualifications. My experience was closer to
that of a new high school teacher with no prior
experience than that of a seasoned educator moving
from one institution to another. I had to cut my
teeth on many things like a rookie teacher."

Dave L. Renfro