Date: Nov 6, 2012 2:12 AM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: Speachless In New York (or, another OMG moment)

On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 9:51 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Once upon a time some children would be held back in grade while others would be accelerated. In the age of social promotion, we have neither the one nor the other. Reading levels are down at least two grade levels (I think this is too generous) and, in my humble opinion, math education has collapsed.
>
> One could go on.

With one's false statements, of course. But since the record needs to be corrected once again:

There is plenty of grade retention now - even plenty of third graders are held back now each year in FL, with those exit exams they now have for each grade (starting with the 3rd) in elementary school and middle school.

"Test-Based Grade Retention"
http://www.literacyresearchassociation.org/publications/LRATestBasedRetentionPBFinal.pdf

And your humble opinion is directly contradicted by all the relevant facts. Here they are yet again, showing the US public school system to be even in the top rank of the world by some measures, with much documentation and many citations and links, just given most recently several days ago on Oct 27:

"Re: For Asians, School Tests Are Vital Steppingstones"

Message was edited by: Paul A. Tanner III