Date: Nov 9, 2012 11:33 AM
Author: Dave L. Renfro
Subject: Re: Obama's win - good or bad for the US/the world?

Paul A. Tanner III wrote (in part):

> You complain about debts and deficits but offer no suggestions
> as to what our government should actually do in terms of these
> very real questions of revenues and spending..

I just caught the tail end of this (i.e. I haven't gone back
and read what lead up to this), but this comment reminds me
of something I was thinking about recently but was too busy
at the time to post.

School lunches ... Wouldn't it be cheaper and easier to just
give every student a lunch for free, absorbing the cost ($300
to $500 per year, I would guess) into the over 20 times the
cost of educating each student per year? No free lunch forms
to fill out (huge savings of work for parents), no bureaucracy
devoted to administrating free and reduced lunches (one wonders
whether this alone might pay for it), and no bureaucracy devoted
to reporting and documenting and regulating and everything else
involving free and reduced lunch programs (this too might be
enough to pay for it, let alone eliminating both bureaucracies).

Dave L. Renfro