Date: Nov 26, 2012 11:53 AM
Author: Clyde Greeno @ MALEI
Subject: [math-learn] Re: Brightness Versus Intelligence. / Eastern Versus Western learning

Hansen seems to have is own meanings for "hypotheses" and "research." Mathematical research is not anecdotal. Clinical research has its own strengths and limitations ... but  nonetheless is the backbone of medical research in the fields of physical and mental health. Neither kind of research is commonly described by the normal English meaning of "hypotheses" ... and not all investigations of curricular practices qualify under the usual meaning of "research."

Bob, you are correct ... In that I am not into the business of creating scholastic curricula. Rather. the MALEI mission focuses on humans' personal educational health in mathematics. That work includes objectively informing makers of school/college curricula about how to improve the healthiness and effectiveness of instructional practices. Although I have often served as a consultant for authors of scholastic curricula, my work is to inform them, rather than to compete with them.

Your last question, below, also is a misinterpretation. No, I do not mean " ...students that are failing mathematics..." Because it is extremely rare for any human to "fail mathematics" (as a field) ... [only a giant in the field could do so], I presume that you refer to "students *who* are not faring well in curricular mathematics courses." So, no ... MALEI is more focused on how badly the prevailing American system of curricular mathematics instruction has failed, and continues to fail, the majority of students. Thus, MALEI is not focused directly on persons who are currently enrolled as "students" in curricular programs ... but on the adults who affect the mathematical growth of young or adult students, and of themselves.

My reference was to a community-education program for improving the personal mathematical health of mathematically ill adults ... and for empowering them to better assist the children, schools, and communities that they serve. The non-curricular program is being custom-designed for math-fearing adults who have yet to achieve personally functional mathematical literacy at a grade-7.9 level. Although far too many teachers and college graduates are of that kind, the project's *primary target* population consists of school dropouts who presently are math-confined to menial vocations ... and who presently are too math-shy to voluntarily submit to any more curricular instruction in mathematics ... but who are raising the nation's children.

That primary target population consists of many millions of American adults. Its *collateral beneficiaries* population consists of many millions of additional, math-hurting, American adults ... plus all who are served by them ... plus a world of other math-ill families. I hope that your own "research" activities are likewise aimed at somehow helping, in some way, at least some persons whose educational health is at risk.

No, thank you, I will not also be authoring a scholastic curriculum. But we do expect that the project's reverberations eventually will result in healthier practices of curricular instruction in school/college mathematics.

Cordially,

Clyde