Date: Nov 28, 2012 7:00 AM
Author: Robert Hansen
Subject: Re: Some important demonstrations on negative numbers

I am all for helping students make sense of these properties that at first seem arbitrary. And I do it in ways similar to yours, except, I am more clear regarding the distinction between definitions and axioms versus the rest that "follows from". You don't "prove" axioms (as you often seem to be doing) but at the same time you certainly must show the student that they are more than just arbitrary decisions. I generally show how these choices (i.e. the definition of exponents) make sense because other choices would prove to be inconsistent down the road and lead to contradictions. The instinctive sense of the logical structure and layering in mathematics is reachable by students in algebra, at least by algebra 2.

Bob Hansen