Date: Dec 11, 2012 8:47 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: TIMMS 2011 How did your country go? Not good news for US!

Jonathan Crabtree posted Dec 11, 2012 5:40 PM:
> December 11 2012
>
> http://timss.bc.edu/timss2011/downloads/T11_IR_M_Chapt
> er2.pdf
>

> Children from 21 countries outperformed Australian
> students in year 4 science in the 2011 Trends in
> International Maths and Science Study. Seventeen
> countries significantly outranked Australia in year 4
> maths.
>
> Our Prime Minister has legislated that Australia will
> be in the Top 5.
>
> Yet Australia's slide down the rankings is a worry
> for US!
>
> http://www.youtube.com/TIMSSandPIRLS
> Just 10 views so far...

You might worry somewhat less, Mr Crabtree, about "Australia's slide down the rankings" if you keep in mind India's recent short and inglorious history in TIMSS:

Over many years, India had never EVER joined the TIMSS process (for I guess good reason as I believe you'd agree if you will read the following sad story).

A couple of years ago some brilliant bureaucrat/ politician got the wonderful idea that India too should put her hat in the TIMSS ring (to demonstrate her superb skills in math and such commendable things). They cherry-picked a couple of schools, then (probably, my guess) prepared them intensively for TIMSS. When the TIMSS results came out, we learned that India had come last (or maybe it was next-to-last), to the extreme chagrin of practically everyone in India. (I can't say I was happy about these sad results - but I had predicted exactly this when I first read about our 'TIMSS project')

Promptly, India withdrew from the TIMSS process. Now, we do not send any schools at all, cherry-picked or otherwise, to TIMSS. In my view, a very wise decision indeed.

(The above is my best recollection of the newspaper reports as I read them from time to time. I make no guarantee as to the accuracy of my memory).

Mr Crabtree might perhaps find some comfort from the above story (which is generally true even if mistaken in some details).

GSC