Date: Dec 17, 2012 6:21 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social<br> engineering'?

Gary Tupper posted Dec 17, 2012 12:41 PM:

<snip>
> I doubt that anything will really change after the
> vigils, candles &
> hand-wringing is over.
>
> Gary Tupper

<snip>

I agree with all of the contentions in your post - including your doubt displayed above.

Thus, the real question of interest should be (I believe):

"Can you act effectively to change things - AFTER the vigils, candles, and hand-wringing are done with?"

I believe it is possible to do (though it obviously won't be easy to accomplish, given that most people do get seriously tired of trying to bring about societal action on most issues because of the sheer unresponsiveness of the systems around us. Such unresponsiveness to the desires of individuals is in fact a fundamental characteristic of 'complex systems').

Check out the attachments at the message heading the thread "Democracy - how to achieve it?" (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536) for information about practical tools to enable and enhance effective thinking and debate on such complex issues - which could help enable effective action to change systems.

GSC