Date: Dec 18, 2012 12:33 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social<br> engineering'?

My post dt. Dec 18, 2012 11:50 AM, provided some links to some useful articles in the New Yorker.  I believe the New Yorker has provided by and large the most thoughtful coverage I've found.  Here are links to some more worthwhile pieces in that magazine:

- -- "Guns and the Limits of Shame" - http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/guns-and-the-limits-of-shame.html
("What does it take for a society to be sickened by its own behavior and to change its attitudes?" Good question)

- -- "Making Gun Control Happen" - http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/making-gun-control-happen.html
("Do you feel that? That's your sense of moral outrage dissipating").

- -- "America's Culture of Violence" - http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2012/12/americas-culture-of-violence.html
("A troubled young man in Connecticut lays his hands on the kinds of guns that no civilian should ever have and does something that no civilization should ever see").

- -- "America's Shame: Words and Tears Aren't Enough" - http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/johncassidy/2012/12/after-the-newtown-shooting-americas-gun-shame.html
("It's America, you know. That sort of thing happens [here].")

In particular, I'm interested to find out whether US citizens would be interested to get together effectively (with their government) to remove this taint on the USA. If not, I guess we would have to conclude that even this horror has not been enough to "be sickened by its own behavior and to change its attitudes".

GSC
("Still Shoveling Away!")