Date: Dec 19, 2012 11:50 AM
Author: Gary Tupper
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social engineering'?

It is not surprising to me that gun legislation is not very effective.
Sort of like "Zero Tolerance" policies. What might be more effective is
a social perspective that guns are rather tacky: before allowing their
child to sleep-over at little Johnny's, the parents would require that
there are no fire arms in Johnny's house - before inviting a couple over
for drinks, or a get-together at a restaurant, the hosts would confirm
that the guests weren't 'carrying'. Namely, gun-possessors would
gradually become pariahs in society. The ultimate aim being that
gun-users would ultimately be limited to law enforcement officers and
violent criminals. Legitimate hunters would still be able to use their
hunting rifles. Gun clubs & rifle ranges would still exist, but the
local police stations would store the firearms.

Gary Tupper