Date: Dec 20, 2012 11:38 PM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Uncivilized India: I could - but shall not - hide my head in shame

Further on the "Delhi Gang-Rape Case" (http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2421558):

There has been a huge upsurge of indignation all over India, with both men and women raising their voices in protest about 'the systems' in which such outrages continue.

Both in Parliament and on the streets, a large number of people have been calling for the death penalty (specifically for that gang of rapists; and for rapists in general).

I personally believe that the death penalty serves little purpose - even for such an outrageous and shaming crime as rape. One commentator pointed out that instituting the death penalty for rapists may well increase the number of deaths due to rape attacks, because the rapist is then more likely to kill his victim to prevent her from testifying as a witness.

In any case, such crimes as rape occur because of a specific 'social culture' and because various societal systems in our nation are not functioning as they were intended to. Putting one group of rapists (or all rapists) to death is not the step that will lead to a healthier social culture in the nation or to effective systems that will prevent such crimes.

There are specific steps to take that could help us develop a healthier social culture in the nation; and to more effective systems that would help prevent such heinous crimes from occurring.

Just so, "PUTTING THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!" or "BLOWING UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION" are not the steps that will lead to improvement of the educational systems in the USA.

There are indeed a great many things to do (and get done) with your and our educational systems that could help ensure that they would function better than they are doing today - but the above-noted two proposed or recommended actions are not amongst the steps needed to improve the educational systems.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy