Date: Dec 22, 2012 1:04 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Would effective gun control laws be 'unacceptable social<br> engineering'?

This refers to the exchanges between Paul A. Tanner III and Kirby Urner Dec 21st-22nd, 2012, specifically regarding the issue of voting/not placing too much reliance on 'just voting' as a means to lead us into democracy.

In this context, I believe a post of mine regarding 'Critical Thinking' at another thread provides some thoughts that may be useful in various ways - see http://us-mg6.mail.yahoo.com/neo/launch?.rand=cdc2c67qlfepq#mail

I personally believe that the 'act of voting' is important and useful (in many ways) - but I am definitely of Kirby's opinion that all too often invalid expectations of 'democracy' may tend to delude John/Jane Doe (and the average Indian citizen as well) into believing that he/she has a great deal of power to influence the societal situation.

Whatever such power may be available, it is in fact minimal (in the normal circumstances). [In certain exceptional circumstances, considerable power may become available - but we should not believe that is is the case always].

All too often, the seeming 'lack of progress' on issues may tend to frustrate the citizen into 'giving up hope' - and that could be truly dangerous (in the sense that such frustration may lead him/her into 'giving up totally', or into real anti-social behaviour.

The tools described at the attachments to my message at http://mathforum.org/kb/thread.jspa?threadID=2419536 offer a useful means to effective 'critical thinking', which is what could possibly ensure that we do not tend to delude ourselves into vain hopes - or on the other hand to drift into the dangerous conditions of frustration with self and society.

We need to learn that "The world is as it is" - and then learn how to handle issues based on such a clear understanding of reality.

GSC