Date: Dec 24, 2012 12:39 PM
Author: Paul A. Tanner III
Subject: Re: A Coordinator, A Facilitator, And An Educator Walk Into A Bar

On Sun, Dec 23, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Haim <hpipik@netzero.com> wrote:
> Paul A. Tanner, III Posted: Dec 23, 2012 12:25 PM
>

>>> "Amid an explosion in the number of students who
>>> qualify for the seats [in gifted and talented
>>> programs]..."

>>> and you find nothing odd about that?
>
>>What happens to the raw number of those who qualify -
>>who score above these 90th and/or 97th percentiles if
>>the raw number of those taking the admissions test goes
>>up?

> We are not likely to find out any time soon because,
>
> - - In NY State total public school enrollment has been declining,
> http://www.p12.nysed.gov/irs/statistics/public/2012/TABLE1.pdf
>
> and
>
> - - In NY City we are assured,
>
> http://www.nycsca.org/Community/CapitalPlanManagementReportsData/Demographics/2009-2018GrierPartnershipReport.pdf
> "Enrollments Are Continuing to Decline, But More Slowly"
>
> But, thanks for asking.
>
> As I was saying, that the Education Mafia are playing a game is perfectly clear. The exact nature of that game is debatable. I am guessing the nature of that game will work in favor of the special interests of the Education Mafia, not so much for the public interest or to the advantage of children.
>
> Haim
> No representation without taxation.

This is just an attempt to get out of admitting that your math is
wrong. One could still have total NYC enrollment going down but
because of parental pressure that is there, allow more kids to take
the admissions test, still holding to the standard of the 90th and
97th percentiles of admission test takers being allowed admission in
these schools, and then have the mathematically inevitable result of
higher numbers of test takers scoring in these percentiles.

It's about who is allowed to take the admission test and how many are
allowed to take it.

How would you decide how many and which ones are allowed to take the
admissions test? What if your kid were not even allowed to take the
test? Would you not be part of this parental pressure problem? Of
course you would.

It's again proved to be as I said: The problem they have is due to
parental pressure to allow their kids to take the admissions test, not
some imagined conspiracy by some imagined demons.