Date: Jan 1, 2013 1:02 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: A Point on Understanding

Joe Niederberger posted Jan 1, 2013 10:27 AM:
> R. Hansen says:
> >Can you give an example of "infinity as a number" (I
> am using the phrase loosely).
>
> Please, you use everything loosely. For instance,
> where did I say "infinity as a number"? But, to
> answer the question I think you may have meant to ask
> (but who could ever tell?):
>
> https://web.math.princeton.edu/~nelson/papers/e.pdf
>
> "There are at least two di?erent ways of looking at
> the numbers: as a completed in?nity and as an
> incomplete in?nity."
> - -- Edward Nelson

I'm no authority on what Joe Niederberger has (or has not) written, but I believe I have carefully looked at everything he's written on the issues I have specific interest in (and at a good bit of what he's written on other issues as well).

I don't believe he has ever written anything about "infinity as a number".

I believe this is just a typical Robert Hansen 'straw man'-ism.

GSC

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy