Date: Jan 12, 2013 9:50 PM
Author: David Park
Subject: Re: Mathematica and Lisp

It might be worthwhile to study Lisp for its own sake and if you have
applications for it. I doubt if it would help you much in learning to use
Mathematica.

If Mathematica is your chief interest and you think it will meet your needs
then spend your time on it because there is an awful lot to learn and your
time is precious.

David Park
djmpark@comcast.net

From: amzoti [mailto:amzoti@gmail.com]

Hi All,

It is clear the Mathematica uses Lisp as one of the example programming
paradigms it pulls from and I have a general question regarding this.

Many moons ago I took a Lisp class and was awful at it (Lisp was very new),
but through Mathematica, have to come to understand the great power and
utility of it.

Would it be helpful to learn Lisp in order to improve programming skills in
Mathematica?

If so, what Lisp books would you recommend?

What variant of Lisp would you recommend using for practice - Common Lisp,
Scheme, or Clojure? Would Mathematica itself be a better choice (I am not
sure if it supports all the Lisp language constructs and such).

What about Haskell?

Any insights and guidance are appreciated.

Regards -A