Date: Jan 15, 2013 1:16 PM
Author: Dave L. Renfro
Subject: Re: Do We Learn All the Math We Need For Ordinary Life Before 5th<br> Grade?

Robert Hansen wrote:

> Other than your's (and mine) puzzlement over the author's statement regarding
> "working out the problems", isn't this just the expected and unavoidable
> consequence of people studying what they weren't meant to study, and then
> telling us of it?

Perhaps, but working through Courant's calculus text under those
circumstances borders on superhuman drive. She did say that it
was a Christmas present and that she worked through it "for love"
(of her husband), but I suspect even the average physics Ph.D.
(she said her husband is a physics Ph.D.), prior to learning calculus,
wouldn't have the drive to work through Courant's Calculus
on his/her own, even for love.

While I'm at it, here's another more suitable Christmas present
to go with the two books I've already suggested:

W. W. Sawyer, "What is Calculus About?", 1962.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0883856026

Dave L. Renfro