Date: Jan 28, 2013 9:45 AM
Author: mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
Subject: Re: ZFC and God

On 28 Jan., 12:41, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> writes:

> >> I honestly have no idea what you're trying to say here.  Why not
> >> simply prove that there is such a k and f?

> > Because every natural number is finite. Why fix one of them? I do
> > *not* claim that there is a k such that all terminating decimals are
> > shorter. I claim that every length n of digits is finite. That is a
> > huge difference.

> We're not talking about finding a single length for "all terminating
> decimals".

Just that is what you try when you look for a fixed k.
0.777... is terminating as long as it belongs to the set of all
terminating decimals, i.e., does not surpass the domain of finite
indices.

>  I'm asking about a single number, 0.777..., which you
> claim is terminating.
>
> Please show that there is a k and f as required by the definition of
> terminating decimal representation so that

By *your* definition of terminating, this may be required. Not by the
mathematical definition which relies upon the fact that every natural
number is finite and that a non-terminating decimal cannot be defined
by digits but only by the finite definition: "This decimal will never
end".

My definition of terminating says only that the terminating decimal
belongs to the set of all terminating decimals, which is as well
defined as the set of all natural numbers.
In order to show that a decimal is not terminating, you are obliged to
find a digit, the index of which doe not belong to a FISON (1, 2, ...,
n). Of course you will fail. But nevertheless try it.

That are the rules.

Regards, WM