Date: Feb 5, 2013 5:17 PM
Author: Jeff
Subject: Re: How do I pass a value to a function called by ode45?

"Steven_Lord" <slord@mathworks.com> wrote in message <kerhrj$aeq$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com>...

> "Jeff " <spREMOVEHITSjeffAT@SIGNoptonline.net> wrote in message

> > I want to pass a value (beta) to a function which I'm passing to ode45,
> > but I can't quite fiigure out how to do it from the documentation. Here is
> > the current function to be passed:

> These examples show two approaches of how to pass additional parameters into
> the function called by FZERO; those same techniques work with ODE45.
>
> http://www.mathworks.com/help/matlab/math/parameterizing-functions.html
>
> --
> Steve Lord
> slord@mathworks.com
> http://www.mathworks.com

Unfortunately, I cannot use nested or anonymous functions. The functions I'm calling are in separate files. I cut down the example I typed in, but basically, it uses an if..elseif block to choose a function based on other parameters.

I was able to make my sample work by adding a third parameter to the declaration of f and then using this call:
[t_steps,s1]=ode45(@(t,y) f(t,y,beta), t_steps, s0, options);

But I can't say I understand what it's doing. And I note that t and y are not given values anywhere before the @(t,y) part of that command. But the correct values are being passed into the function (at least the first time) and I'm getting the results I expect.

Thanks.