Date: Feb 7, 2013 2:18 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: The Magic Pill for "Boosting Scores"

On re-reading Professor Wayne Bishop's post dt. Feb 7, 2013 9:08 AM (http://mathforum.org/kb/servlet/JiveServlet/download/206-2433333-8256052-803402/att1.html ), I observe that Professor Bush had clearly mentioned "The lead article in today's LA Times describes the different kind of Magic Pill".

On re-reading the whole LA Times article once again, I find I agree with a fair bit of the analysis there - but it does not provide any synthesis relating to just what can and should be done about the problems and issues identified in US education, beyond cautioning that one shouldn't place one's faith in such 'educational miracles'.

The needed 'miracle' could come about only if all genuine stakeholders in education were to get together and work out effective means to develop the kind of educational systems they desire - and then they would find that it's no miracle at all, just common sense (which we all should know is the basis of 'system wisdom').

GSC