Date: Feb 10, 2013 3:13 PM
Author: Graham Cooper
Subject: Re: Sets as Memory traces.

On Feb 11, 5:31 am, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 1:02 pm, Zuhair <zaljo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Even more appropriate is to stipulate 'carved in' as a three place
> > > relation symbol, so Cv(x,y,t) would mean x is carved in y at moment t.

> > > Now we can 'define' a binary relation M standing for 'memorized in'
> > > as:

> > > x M y <-> Exist t. x is solid at t & Cv(x,y,t)
>
> > > here of course what is meant by x M y is: x memorized as a solid
> > > object in y. And of course we can interpret set membership by the
> > > relation M defined above, and of course sets would be memory traces.

> > > Zuhair

> > If we take the fossil example as a case of memory trace, then what is
> > imprinted in the fossil is the image of the memorized object not the
> > object itself. This gives me the idea of memory traces being of images
> > of memorized object as it occurs actually normally everyday in our
> > minds. We need to stipulate that an image preserves the contact status
> > of the imaged. However it is also plausible to state that all images
> > are disjoint.

> In reality what is plausible is to state that all images of objects in
> solid status
> are disjoint.
>
> Also it is desirable to have a unique image of an object at solid
> status.
>
> To make the formal workup we need to introduce the primitive three
> place
> relation symbol  Img(x',x,t) to signify x' is the image of x at moment
> t.
>
> Now the memorizing relation M would be defined as:
>
> x M y iff  Exist x',t. x is solid at t & Img(x',x,t) & x' Part of y.
>
> Of course we need y to be a whole of images of objects at solid status
> and this what memory trace would mean.
>
> Anyhow this needs further workup to be completed.
>
> So the images of an apple and its half at another moment

"temporal reasoning in artificial intelligence"

About 1,950,000 results (0.40 seconds)

http://www.cs.brandeis.edu/~cs112/cs112-2004/newReadings/allen-time-again.pdf

Time and Time Again: The Many Ways to Represent Time
James F Allen
The University of Rochester

I. Representations Based on Dating Schemes

A good representation of time for instantaneous events, if it is
possible, is using an absolute dating system. This involves time
stamping each event with an absolute real-time, say taken off the
system clock on the machine, or some other coarser-grained system such
as we use for dating in everyday life. For instance, a convenient
dating scheme could be a tuple consisting of the year

II. Constraint Propagation Approaches

There has been a considerable amount of work in Artificial
Intelligence in defining temporal reasoning systems that used the
technique of constraint propagation. These systems use a graph-based
representation where each time is linked to each other time with an
arc labeled with the possible temporal relationships between the times

III. Duration-Based Representations

With the exception of the first technique using absolute dates, we
have been ignoring the problem of representing temporal durations. In
this section we will examine some representations that operate
primarily using duration information. The basic technique for dealing
with duration information is seen in PERT networks. This
representation maintains a partial ordering of events in an acyclic
directed graph that
has both a distinguished beginning and ending event. Each node in the
graph represents an event and has an associated duration.

IV. Temporal Logics

So far we have only discussed the representation of temporal
information. For such a capability to be useful it must be embedded
within a more general representation that can encode general
assertions about the world. The simplest form of such a representation
assumes a linear time model and indexes each fact
with a time - e.g. in a logic-based representation the time could
simply be an extra argument. Thus Green(FROG1,T1) might assert that
the object FROG1 was green at time T1.

V. Temporal Knowledge Representation Systems

Given this discussion, it remains to be seen how a temporal reasoner
such as the ones described above can be embedded into an actual
reasoning system. In some cases, the representation is restricted
enough that the temporal reasoning can be incorporated directly. For
example, consider a database application where all
relations are homogeneous predicates, and time intervals are
represented by pairs of dates, or pseudodates. The temporal reasoning
is then built into the retrieval mechanism: to retrieve a relation R
between dates d1 and d2, the system uses its normal retrieval
mechanism to find candidate matches - say R between d3 and d4, and
then checks if d3 <= d1 and d4>= d2. If so the retrieval succeeeds.

Herc
--
www.BLoCKPROLOG.com