Date: Feb 11, 2013 1:43 AM
Author: William Hughes
Subject: Re: Matheology § 222 Back to the roots

On Feb 10, 11:11 pm, Virgil <vir...@ligriv.com> wrote:
> In article
> <c7249ee8-e019-43bf-8ce9-2a2099b91...@l13g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > How does one interpret
> > >    we have shown m does not exist
> > >    (your statement)

> > > to mean that
>
> > >    m might still exist
>
> > > ?
>
> > TND is invalid in the infinite.
>
> As far as the vast majority of mathematics and mathematicians is
> concerned, Tertium Non Datur is valid everywhere.
>
> Those who claim otherwise do not speak for the vast majority of
> mathematics and mathematicians but at most for a miniscule minority.
> --

Here the excluded middle is not relevant. We know that
P := there exists a natural number m
is false. It does not matter how many truth
values P can have, we know which one we have.
The excluded middle would only be relevant if we were trying
to obtain P true from ~~P true or P false
from ~~~P true. Here we are obtaining ~P true
from ~P true