Date: Feb 12, 2013 3:23 AM
Author: Murray Eisenberg
Subject: Re: Strange problems with 9.0

1. I'm not seeing that problem in 9.0.1 with a SlideShow, no matter
whether the Screen Environment is Working or SlideShow. Even if the
cursor is inside a Text cell, if I use the down-arrow to go beyond that
cell, I get as usual in any notebook the default, namely, an Input cell.

2. It's not clear exactly what you're trying to do here. Certainly the
following works (where I've had to use the FullForm to paste as plain
text into this reply):

v={{Subscript[x, 1],Subscript[x, 2],Subscript[x, 3]}};
w={{Subscript[y, 1],Subscript[y, 2],Subscript[y, 3]}};
Subscript[v, 4]

On Feb 11, 2013, at 4:38 AM, Mark Green <p0073857@brookes.ac.uk> wrote:

> Can anyone help me with a few odd problems I've been having with 9.0?
>
> 1. In previous versions to create a new input cell on a SlideShow

slide, I could just hit the down arrow until the horizontal cursor
appeared indicating I was not in any slide, then type in input. To
create a text cell I had to explicitly ask for it. In 9.0 it seems just
typing now creates a text cell which cannot be evaluated and there seems
to be nothing in Writing Assistant or anything else to create a regular
input cell apart from cutting and pasting one from an empty
non-slideshow document. Is there an easier way?

> 2. If I create, in a Math cell, two column vectors of subscripted

numbers (x_1, y_1, z_1 etc), then want to create a subscripted value
outside of the column vectors, as soon as I hit ctrl+underscore to do so
the cell pops out of traditional view and the Subscript[] sources are
visible. There seems to be no way to recover from this.

---
Murray Eisenberg murray@math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
University of Massachusetts 413 545-2838 (W)
710 North Pleasant Street fax 413 545-1801
Amherst, MA 01003-9305