Date: Feb 14, 2013 2:47 PM
Author: Steven Lord
Subject: Re: [64GB Physical RAM + 151GB free SSD space] - xlsread Error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

"Yannick " <ymonye@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:kfeb77$14m$1@newscl01ah.mathworks.com...
> Hello,
>
> At my company we work with large sets of data, specifically
> comma-delimited files ranging in size from 100MB to 200MB each (300,000 x
> 44 cell arrays), and perform a number of mathematical calculations.
>
> The problem occurs at the very beginning of our code after we call the
> 'xlsread' function. 'xlsread' is used instead of 'csvread' since our data
> includes both text & numerical data, while 'csvread' only reads numerical
> data.
>
> Below is the error we receive:
> Error: Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Is this message coming from MATLAB or from Microsoft Excel? In other words,
can you open this file in Excel directly, without MATLAB being involved? If
not, figure out how to correct the problem in Excel then try reading it in
MATLAB again.

Also check that all the data sets are the size you expect them to be. If all
are 100-200 MB except for one that's 10 times the size for whatever reason,
and XLSREAD fails on that much larger set, try opening that larger set in
Excel again to determine if the problem is in the way MATLAB receives the
data from Excel or in the way Excel reads the data from the file.

--
Steve Lord
slord@mathworks.com