Date: Feb 18, 2013 11:32 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: An algebraic brainteaser I recently coded up (for k-12)

Quant Guy posted Feb 15, 2013 4:48 AM:
> This is the classic math 24 game. You are given 4
> numbers and use +-*/ to make 24 using all 4 numbers.
> For example, if you are given 1, 2, 3 and 4, then
> both 1*2*3*4 and (1+3)*(2+4) are valid answers.Check
> it out and let me how you like it.
>
> The website is http://www.24theory.com

Very nice indeed! (I must confess I found some of them very difficult indeed - and I didn't use the 'timed version'! I shall do that later, maybe).

Anyway, I believe it would be very useful to help develop anyone's 'number sense' (if that is the right phrase). I shall recommend it to math teachers I may meet. Too bad that Robert Hansen is not with us any more - I'm sure he would have enjoyed this, and his comments would have been insightful.

GSC