Date: Feb 18, 2013 1:05 PM
Author: Richard Hake
Subject: [math-learn] Responses to David Klahr's Criticism of Inquiry Science

Some subscribers to Math-Learn might be interested in a recent post
(2013)]. The abstract reads:

ABSTRACT: David Klahr's (2012) APS News back-page essay "Inquiry
Science rocks: Or does it?" at <> initiated two
long threads on the PhysLrnR list: (a) "Klahr in Dec. APSNEWS" at
<>, and (b) "Klahr In APS" at
<> [respectively 51 and 67 posts as of 17 Feb
2013; to gain access you may need to obtain a password by clicking on
"Log in required" and then typing your email address into a slot].

Unfortunately, none of these posts addressed Joe Bellina's lead
question at <>: "HAS ANYONE THOUGHT OF

Thus far the only response in APS News to Klahr (2012) is a letter in
the Feb 2013 issue "Criticism of Inquiry-based Learning Strikes Home"
at <> from physicist Robert Ehrlich (2013)],
which supports Klahr's criticism of Inquiry Science. Ehrlich
<> is an inveterate Physics Education Research
(PER) basher - see e.g., my response to his careless commentary in
"Comment on 'How do we know if we are doing a good job in physics
teaching' by Robert Ehrlich" [Hake (2002)] at <>.

To access the complete 14 kB post please click on <>.

Links to Articles: <>
Links to Socratic Dialogue Inducing (SDI) Labs: <>
Academia: <>
Blog: <>
GooglePlus: <>
Google Scholar <>
Twitter: <>
Facebook: <>

REFERENCES [URL shortened by and accessed on 18 Feb 2013.]
Hake, R.R. 2013. "Responses to David Klahr's Criticism of Inquiry Science,"
online on the OPEN! AERA-L archives at <>. Post
of 17 Feb 2013 16:13:16-0800 to AERA-L and Net-Gold. The abstract
and link to the complete post are being transmitted to several
discussion lists and are also on my blog "Hake'sEdStuff" at
<> with a provision for comments.