Date: Mar 8, 2013 8:36 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Please help me with the following question

Further my post of Mar 8, 2013 12:38 PM, the following may do with some elucidation:
> Robert Hansen (RH) posted Mar 8, 2013 7:40 AM:
> > That is a very hard problem. I managed to figure
> out
> > weighings 1 and 3 but could not complete that
> > middle
> > step. This is not a binary search, it is an
> > exhaustive search.

<snip>
> For 'out-of-the-box' thinking, the OPMS approach
> could be quite useful, assuming one has an 'open
> mind' to begin with - and one is willing to look at
> and try to understand 'structural models' based on
> the "CONTRIBUTES TO" and "HINDERS" relationships.

I should be careful not to give the impression that, when one is stuck with a problem such as this, just trying out the OPMS will do the trick for you. NOT SO AT ALL!!!

OPMS could possibly "lead to" the 'open-minded' frame of thinking that could help, over time, to bring one to the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that could help provide the little insights that may help resolve the tricky problem under consideration.

But - at the same time - we have also seen that one has to be somewhat 'open-minded' even to try out the OPMS at all.

There seems to be some complexity here that may not be readily or easily resolved.

In any case, the advice is: DON'T try to use the OPMS to help resolve any problem of this kind. It is, in fact, contra-indicated.

GSC