Date: Mar 15, 2013 12:24 AM
Author: GS Chandy
Subject: Re: Please help me with the following question

Joe Niederberger posted  Mar 15, 2013 4:21 AM:

> R Hansens says:

> >If we look again at how (poorly) the problem was
> originally stated...
>
> It could have been stated better. But I think the
> puzzle-worker filling in and enunciating some
> conditions that turn it into a mathematical problem
> are maybe 60-70% of the value of the problem, such as
> it is.
>
> R Hansen says:

> >I still say that Elander's answer of "5" works best.
>
> Nonsense. It takes 0. You just pick three riders and
> shoot out the kneecaps of the others.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

PERFECT! (And utterly brilliant).

Once you've shot out the kneecaps of the two riders you haven't chosen, the three you've chosen are DEFINITELY the fastest (beyond any manner of doubt raised by issues about 'binary', 'exhaustive', 'stochastic' searches and the like).

It's somewhat, I guess, like what I read recently was Stalin's favourite way of resolving problems. I understnad that one of his famous sayings was::

"Death solves all problems'.

(QED, and, as a matter of fact, RIP as well).

GSC