Date: Mar 26, 2013 2:52 AM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 3/26/2013 12:43 AM, david petry wrote:
> On Monday, March 25, 2013 9:34:12 PM UTC-7, Virgil wrote:
>> In article <>,
>> david petry <> wrote:

>>> If we agree that the purpose of mathematics is to help us reason about real
>>> world phenomena

>> That may be the view of applied mathematicians, engineers and such like,
>> but is not necessarily part of the view of pure mathematicians who view
>> mathematics as its own justification.

> Social responsibility. Look that up in your Wikipedia.

First, there is certainly no reason to confuse Virgil's
posts with mine.

Second, here is your wikipedia page.

Third, you might find this book educational.

It discusses the general outline of what happens when
theories of social responsibility become pragmatic
government. It cannot be considered a perfect analogy
because it is not discussing ecological responsibility.
But, it says a great deal about well-meaning human
nature in that situation.