Date: Mar 26, 2013 2:52 AM
Author: fom
Subject: Re: Mathematics and the Roots of Postmodern Thought

On 3/26/2013 12:43 AM, david petry wrote:
> On Monday, March 25, 2013 9:34:12 PM UTC-7, Virgil wrote:
>> In article <8591e4d8-0af9-4de8-909c-dd5da3a40326@googlegroups.com>,
>> david petry <david_lawrence_petry@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> If we agree that the purpose of mathematics is to help us reason about real
>>> world phenomena

>> That may be the view of applied mathematicians, engineers and such like,
>> but is not necessarily part of the view of pure mathematicians who view
>> mathematics as its own justification.

> Social responsibility. Look that up in your Wikipedia.

First, there is certainly no reason to confuse Virgil's
posts with mine.

Second, here is your wikipedia page.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_responsibility

Third, you might find this book educational.

http://books.google.com/books/about/Pedagogy_of_the_Oppressed.html?id=xfFXFD414ioC

It discusses the general outline of what happens when
theories of social responsibility become pragmatic
government. It cannot be considered a perfect analogy
because it is not discussing ecological responsibility.
But, it says a great deal about well-meaning human
nature in that situation.